Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Kids

Looking at my children makes me realize how differently my life has turned out from what I thought it would be. You know how some people have life plans, where they want to be in five, ten, or twenty years. I never had one of those. I just took things day to day and blazed a spontaneous trail. I look back now and see where that trail could have led and I am very grateful for what I have. I have always loved kids. Truth be told sometimes I prefer their company to adults. I never thought I would have kids of my own. But I love it. It is hard sometimes, especially now with a new born and no sleep. But I have started an incredible journey here and I am trying to enjoy each moment. I was watching a video on child training the other day and they said the key to being a successful parent is taking joy in your children. He said if the joy of the Lord is our strength the joy of the parent is a child's strength. I want to have fun with my kids, I want to be their friend and have every day be an adventure. You know like in the sound of music where the kids fall in love with their nanny the nun because she wins their hearts by playing with them. I don't have the energy just now to make a set for a puppet show and I sure don't have the voice to be singing or the stamina to run through the hills while doing it. But hopefully someday soon I will be able to play more and set up killer forts in the living room. I wasn't very close with my parents but they did play with me when I was little and I treasure those memories.

4 comments:

Haley Rachelle said...

The video is called The Joy of Training. A friend lent it to me and I sure need it with Sam. I like self help videos and books too. I need all the help I can get.

Haley Rachelle said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Haley Rachelle said...

No, I don't think so. Who puts it out?

Haley Rachelle said...

Erika, thanks for the congrats. Please refresh my memory. Where did we meet?